Pathfinder Society Solano/Yolo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pathfinder Society Solano/Yolo

Forums dedicated to the PFS for Solano county and Yolo.

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Brandon Edwards
GameMaster
GameMaster
Brandon Edwards

Gold Coins : 4611

Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat Empty
PostSubject: Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat   Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 12:08 am

I have a question regarding the interaction between the rogue's sniper archtype's accuracy ability (APG page 134) and the feat Far Shot (CR page 124). Far Shot says that you only take a -1 penalty for every range increment when using a ranged weapon. The accuracy ability says that the player halves all range penalties when you are using a bow or crossbow. I am wondering whether that means that i just have a -1 penalty for every range increment, or if i only get a -1 penalty every other range increment. Please help
Back to top Go down
steven k
GameMaster
GameMaster

Gold Coins : 4632

PostSubject: Re: Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat   Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 12:32 am

in 3.5 D&D you would have -.5 to your range increment which would apply *-1*to every other ranged increment. in paizo they don't have a ruling for this, so until a faq is answered by a paizo developer ... basically its up to you/dm lol.

i will look at the rules one more time to make sure i didn't miss anything.

edited

*ok i see 2 different way to interpret the ruling, first is that far shot takes place after the accuracy class feature making the end result: range increment reduced by half(accuracy) then modified to -1(far shot)

or you could say that the active player decided which abilities go in which order, which would give the interpretation of it being range increment reduced to -1 then modified to -.5 from the accuracy class feature.

no official ruling one way or the other.

Last edited by steven k on Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
LadyStormslayer

LadyStormslayer

Gold Coins : 4822

PostSubject: Side note:    Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 12:35 am

Double check the Far Shot feat in Ultimate Combat, since that is actually updated, and that feat is the correct feat.
Back to top Go down
http://http:www.geekymanifestos.wordpress.com
Brandon Edwards
GameMaster
GameMaster
Brandon Edwards

PostSubject: Re: Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat   Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 12:43 am

So i just checked the Paizo forums for a ruling on this, and there was no real ruling, just examples of how people would handle it in their games. I NEED TO KNOW! If i am right, then i can hit you from 1150 feet, then stealth so you cant see me with an opposed perception check of my stealth roll - 10 + 115. I WANT THIS.

P.S. There is no updated version of Far Shot in UC.

Back to top Go down
steven k
GameMaster
GameMaster

PostSubject: Re: Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat   Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 12:51 am

i just want to point out, that even though thats awesome you would never pull it off in any module lol.
Back to top Go down
Brandon Edwards
GameMaster
GameMaster
Brandon Edwards

PostSubject: Re: Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat   Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 12:54 am

I don't care. just having the option to murder from over 3 football field away is enough to make me happy. and im fine with either way a ruling is made. all that it mean is that instead of having a -5 on my attack to hit you from 1150 feet, i have a -10 and far shot is a useless feat for me to take.
Back to top Go down
steven k
GameMaster
GameMaster

PostSubject: Re: Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat   Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 12:55 am

haha
Back to top Go down
LadyStormslayer

LadyStormslayer

PostSubject: The Super Coordinator's Ruling On The Field   Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 4:03 am

So to end the conversation, the ruling on the field is this:

1) WTF are you doing taking this archetype as a Rogue? This requires you to give up Trapfinding, and at that point, you might as well be a freaking Ranger and at least get the bump up to a D10 hit die and have Wild Empathy, and you would be proficient in ALL RANGED WEAPONS IN THE CORE RULEBOOK.

2) While there is nothing in the rules that doesn't permit you from taking the feat, it is MUCH WISER to take Precise Shot. Since you seem to roll really badly on attacks and so not having to take that -4 might help you out a bit better than Far Shot. Especially since you will shooting into Melee a lot more than utilizing distance. Also take into consideration, that the highest range currently is 120ft (Composite Longbow-CR). If you need to shoot more than that, perhaps you should stealthy move. Oh wait, Sneak Attack only works at 30 FREAKING FEET OF A TARGET FOR RANGED WEAPONS.. WHY DO YOU NEED FAR SHOT THEN?

Ruling on the field: It's legal to take, but a really dumb idea since you will be shooting into melee more. Take Precise Shot, become a Ranger, and stop building stupid characters that we're going to keep killing off.

-Lady Stormslayer
Back to top Go down
steven k
GameMaster
GameMaster

PostSubject: Re: Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat   Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 5:27 am

ROFL!!!! venus you're a trip
Back to top Go down
LadyStormslayer

LadyStormslayer

PostSubject: Re: Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat   Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 5:33 am

steven k wrote:
ROFL!!!! venus you're a trip

What? I'm just saying..
Back to top Go down
Brandon Edwards
GameMaster
GameMaster
Brandon Edwards

PostSubject: Re: Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat   Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 1:20 pm

Four words : Snap shot Rogue Talent. Its in the APG. Look it up.

Plus assorted other rogue talents and evasion and stealth and so much awesome that comes from rogues.
Back to top Go down
LadyStormslayer

LadyStormslayer

PostSubject: Re: Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat   Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 5:31 pm

Read that, and you could still do that as a Ranger without having to waste Weapon Proficiency Feat. Hey, it's your character, but keep on building them the way you're building them, and you will never get into Rogue Society, and the minute you do, your character will die.

Just saying.
Back to top Go down
steven k
GameMaster
GameMaster

PostSubject: Re: Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat   Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 6:03 pm

well i will say this, playing a rogue has its strong points. tons of skill, a dex and int based class which meshes well with elf, not to mention how elf gives composite long bow proficiency for free, than mix one level of wizard and go arcane archer and you're golden on damage. you could do quite a bit on ranged attacks.
Back to top Go down
Brandon Edwards
GameMaster
GameMaster
Brandon Edwards

PostSubject: Re: Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat   Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat EmptyWed Nov 02, 2011 11:59 pm

@Stormslayer: Did you read the feat or the rogue talent? because the feat sucks, but the rogue talent lets you count your initative as if you had rolled a 20 for the surprise round, but you can only make a standard action attack. Focused shot's attack is a standard attack, meaning with a composite longbow at 5th level,going the way i am with this rogue, i will be doing 1d6 + 6 + 3d6 sneak attack damage. Dealing 27 damage in the surprise round seems good to me.

And back to the Far Shot + Accuracy interaction, Far Shot is technically a replacement ability for range penalties, so the penalty for every range increment is -1, then it is halved to -.5, and then it is rounded ,as per pathfinder and how it rounds in whatever way helps the player (which astonished me due to my learning rpgs in 3.5), to -0.
... Is it just me or does this seem broken?
Back to top Go down
steven k
GameMaster
GameMaster

PostSubject: Re: Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat   Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 12:08 am

thats not a official interpretation, that's one of 2 interpretations. if the GM rules in your favor then great.
Back to top Go down
Brandon Edwards
GameMaster
GameMaster
Brandon Edwards

PostSubject: Re: Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat   Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 12:13 am

i completely agree with you, steve. Darryl even said that if i brought that character to a table he was running outside of pfs, he would turn me away. But even if it isn't ruled in the players favor, you are still taking a -10 penalty to shoot a little under 4 football fields.
Back to top Go down
Brandon Edwards
GameMaster
GameMaster
Brandon Edwards

PostSubject: Posting the Character in question as it is currently build here so you all have a reference   Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 12:23 am

Race: Halfling Size: Small
Str: 12 (14-2)
Dex: 18 (16+2)
Con: 12
Int: 14
Wis: 12
Cha: 9 (7+2)
Weapon: Shortbow (to be replaced with a Composite longbow with a +1 str mod eventually)
Feat: Point Blank Shot
Further Feats:
2nd Level (Rogue 1 Fighter1):Precise Shot
3rd Level (Rogue 2 Fighter 1): Focused Shot
4th Level (Rogue 2 Fighter 2): Martial Weapon Prof. (Longbow)
5th 4th Level (Rogue 3 Fighter 2): Deadly Aim
Rogue talent at 2nd rogue level: Snap Shot

So at level 5, ranged Damage would be 1d6 + 6(1 from composite longbow, 2 from int mod, 3 from deadly aim) + any enchantments + (if within 40 feet[Sniper rogue archetype]) 2d6 Sneak attack. so at fifth level you would be dealing on average 15 damage with an unenchanted bow.

Last edited by Brandon Edwards on Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Realized fighter levels give profficency with all martial weapons)
Back to top Go down
steven k
GameMaster
GameMaster

PostSubject: Re: Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat   Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 12:35 am

i have to admit that is a badass sniper concept.
Back to top Go down
LadyStormslayer

LadyStormslayer

PostSubject: Re: Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat   Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 12:57 am

Which in this case, I'm not going to allow. THINK MAN. You know you are going to need to shoot into melee more than at a distance.

I'm gonna stop talking now, since it seems to me, that my opinion means nothing to you cause you're going to build it no matter what. So it's on you, but don't look at me when party members look at you and go "Aren't you a rogue?"

Just saying.
Back to top Go down
Brandon Edwards
GameMaster
GameMaster
Brandon Edwards

PostSubject: Re: Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat   Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 2:37 pm

He has percise shot though. It's his second feat.
Back to top Go down
Fowah
Admin
Admin
Fowah

Gold Coins : 4623

PostSubject: Re: Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat   Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat EmptyThu Nov 03, 2011 4:43 pm

LadyStormslayer wrote:
Which in this case, I'm not going to allow. THINK MAN. You know you are going to need to shoot into melee more than at a distance.

I'm gonna stop talking now, since it seems to me, that my opinion means nothing to you cause you're going to build it no matter what. So it's on you, but don't look at me when party members look at you and go "Aren't you a rogue?"

Just saying.

Lets say that if he does make it, and his character dies at second level, it's HIS time that HE wasted on a character, however if he survives Good job. I say go with it and do what cha want. cherry
Back to top Go down
https://pfssolano.forumotion.com
LancePark
Coordinator
Coordinator
LancePark

Gold Coins : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat   Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 4:55 pm

Just remember: If he can do it, so too can the bad guys.
MWAHAHAHHAHA.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat   Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat Empty

Back to top Go down

Sniper Acrhtype for rogues and farshot feat
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Pathfinder Society Solano/Yolo :: The Tavern :: Charcters and Builds-
Jump to: